This is an older piece that was made a few years ago. It’s always good to go through your stash once in a while – you find things that you had forgotten about. But anyhow this piece was hand stitched and dyed by me. I used button thread and dipped it several times into the indigo vat to achieve a deep blue color. It is one hundred percent cotton. As with all hand-made things there is always a surprise that makes itself known afterwards – I did not get the overall blue that I was hoping for, but never fear you can always make lemonade out of lemons to quench your thirst!
Shown here is an item that I made with some of my raw silk (aka silk noil) that I also dyed. The colors are actually shades as a wee bit of black was added to tone down the brightness. I was looking for a more subtle palette. Not quite sure that I achieved that, but no fabric will go to waste in any case. Let me know what you think.
The flowers are raw edged and machine sewn on and embellished with embroidery floss hand stitched using simple stitching.
Here is a nice piece of silk that was dyed adopting a very simple method of employing a wide brush to “paint” on wax then allowing it to set and dry thoroughly. Once set the piece of silk was immersed into the dye bath and given time to saturate. I agitated the piece very little. Here is the result. It reminds me of buildings or rows of blocks, therefore the name “Inside the Box”. Not very unique or even inspiring but I do like the way some of the dye was able to creep into the white areas where the wax resist was painted on. The color is a calming dark blue to contrast the white ground.
But apart from all the techno mumbo jumbo I just like the way this particular piece turned out. Love that scary ghoul that appeared – see the bottom left hand side of the picture.
This piece is part of a private collection.
I also hand dyed a few more – I couldn’t stop (!) and they are pictured below. I love the soft color of these, they are also mottled, giving them some depth. Try silk it is wonderful fabric.
So today I show you some fat quarters that I dyed recently. Silk receives dye very well allowing for a deep saturation. I just love the results achieved in this fabric. Silk noil is a nubby coarse type of silk, but once washed it becomes a much softer texture with a beautiful drape.These fat quarters (above) are mottled colors as you can see, with the exception of the black quarters. Easy to care for – throw in the wash on gentle and can be machine dried or hung.
When dyeing items with long fringe – you should know one thing. I think I will just show you rather than try to describe it! Fortunately I have been able to untangle this with little difficulty – however one must be patient and wait for it to dry. Then be patient some more so that you can untangle it – a time-consuming effort. It is much more difficult to unravel this when wet. I would venture to say though that it would have been smarter to have prevented this prior to dyeing. I’m quite sure that there is a way and I will find out what it is!
Hints: To begin with DON’T get tangled up in the first place. Secondly: wait until dry. Third: start to untangle from the bottom of the fringe up. Then gently pull EACH strand – if you meet resistance go to another strand. They will untangle with a bit of time and patience.
So take this as friendly advice – think about the fringe when dyeing- don’t stir the pot too much! lol
Utilized here is simply an onion about four inches high, sliced in half and dipped into fabric paint. The piece is narrow and long. The onion design covers the entire piece. The fabric was originally dyed in boiling water with the onion skin thrown in – giving it a warm back ground and onion scent which has largely diminished. Dried in the dryer and ironed with a hot iron to set the color, I then began to stamp the design. When it was dry I over stamped some of the “onions” with a gold fiber paint, just to enhance the a bit. After wards I sat a wrote all over the entire piece by hand “Some onions don’t make you cry”, in English, French and Italian. This is a set of three, one in each language.Each piece was then stitched to a stabilizer and backed. There is copper beading here and there on each piece as well. The edges are satin stitched all around.